Unfolding Nasolabial Folds or Smile lines
Nasolabial folds, also known as “smile lines” or “laugh lines” represent the crease or line that runs from the ala of the nose to the corner of the mouth.
Naturally, as one ages, deepening of nasolabial folds can be noticed during mid thirties or forties. Also with aging, the skin loses its elasticity and tends to become thinner and drier. Certain undesirable habits like smoking and stressful lifestyle hasten the formation of facial wrinkles.
Following are the most common causes of prominent and unsightly nasolabial folds:
i) Excess cheek fat
ii) Loss of skin elasticity
iv) Chronic sun exposure.
v) Loss of fat in cheek
vi) Loss of bone
Treatment of Nasolabial folds:
Nasolabial lines are considered normal and most clients seek treatment only after they notice sagging of cheek and deep wrinkling of surrounding skin.
- Dermal Filler – Dermal filler is a widely accepted treatment for nasolabial folds and it gives immense satisfaction to patients as the reduction of the wrinkles and nasolabial fold is seen almost immediately following the procedure. The procedure involves injecting the filler into areas of concern, which produces effacement of the fold or crease and is a relatively painless nonsurgical procedure. However, this is not a permanent solution and has to be redone every 6 months.
- Botox –Botox is a prescription medicine, which when injected causes relaxation of the muscle thereby making the nasolabial lines appear less prominent. The needles used for injecting Botox are very small in size and patients usually don’t find it painful. The effect of this procedure lasts for about 3 to 6 months after which a repeat dose might be required.
Note: Usually Dermal Fillers and Botox are used in conjunction to achieve maximum results.
- Exilis – Exilis is a FDA-cleared device that utilizes monopolar Radio Frequency energy and Ultrasound to eliminate stubborn fat deposits and tighten the skin safely. It is effective in the areas that don’t respond to healthy diet and exercise. A thermal response beneath the skin causes fat cells to release their content, which is then harmlessly flushed from the body through natural processes. Simultaneously, there is collagen repair and new collagen synthesis that tightens the skin giving a youthful look.
- Fat Transfer- The procedure involves harvesting fat from the patient in areas like thigh, buttocks or abdomen and transferring it to the treatment area. One additional advantage that has not been proven yet is that the fat cells have adipose derived stem cells and hence the potential to rejuvenate the skin of the transplanted region.
- Other surgical corrections involve either a face lift or cheek lift. The facelift procedure in recent times has evolved and has become less invasive. New techniques have made the scars smaller and less conspicuous, healing and recovery more rapid and the results of the facelift procedure more appreciable and long lasting.
Prevention is better than cure!!!!!!
Wear sun block, eat healthy, exercise regularly, avoid tobacco and excessive alcohol, and manage your stress to ensure a long term youthful and happy smile.
DR.CHANDRA JEYA PRABHA
Chennai Plastic Surgery