Breast Reduction India
Mild to severe enlargement of breasts in many women result from over development of milk glands or of fat tissue or a combination of both. Heavy breasts often affect routine activities, reduce exercising capacity, cause chronic pain (neck, back, shoulder, chest etc.), breathing difficulty, sleep disturbances, affect posture etc. In addition, enlarged breast result in sagging due to gravity, making it aesthetically unappealing and uncomfortable.
Breast skin volume is permanent and cannot be reversed with weight loss. Non – surgical options provide minimal relief and not a permanent solution.
What is Breast Reduction surgery?
Breast reduction or reduction mammoplasty is a procedure to remove excess breast both glandular tissue and fat as well as skin. It helps to achieve a breast size in proportion to your body. It also helps to alleviate the discomfort caused by the large breasts.
Who needs Breast Reduction?
Click below for
Pre and Post Photos
Individual Results May Vary
Women who have very large breasts, not in proportion to their body. Those who experience shoulder, neck or even back pain due to the large breasts. Skin irritation at the crease, or indentations due to the bra straps. Heavy breasts which limit your daily physical activity, or inability to fit into certain clothes. Large breasts causing physical as well as emotional problems affecting self confidence/self image.
What are the preoperative requisites?
Once you have consulted a board certified plastic surgeon and have decided to get the procedure done, you would be required to do the following:
- Get a work up for general anesthesia, which includes blood tests as well as chest x-ray and ECG in older women.
- A sono mammogram has to be done to evaluate your breasts and rule out any breast lumps if any.
- Avoid taking aspirin, herbal supplements atleast a week prior to the surgery
- Avoid smoking atleast two weeks prior to the surgery.
- You would be advised to come fasting for a period of eight hours prior to the surgery
What are the types of Breast Reduction?
The procedure will be done usually under general anesthesia.
Breast reduction is performed through placing incision on your breasts to remove the excess gland, fat and skin. If the breast size is predominantly due to fat and there is no skin excess, liposuction alone can be performed to reduce the size. The choice of technique for breast reduction (inverted T or vertical) depends upon the amount of reduction needed, breast composition, individual preference and the surgeons opinion.
- Keyhole/raquet shaped incision
- Periaerolar incision extending vertically down to the breast crease.
- Inverted T/anchor shaped incision.
- Periaerolar incision extending down to the crease as well as horizontally along the crease.
Procedure involves repositioning the nipple aerola along with the intact blood and nerve supply. Excess gland, fat and skin are removed.
What are the post operative instructions?
The patients will be shifted to the post operative ward/room post procedure where they will be closely monitored by trained staff. Most patients can be discharged on the same day. Those with comorbid conditions may be asked to stay overnight for observation.
Post procedure dressings will be applied over the incision lines. Patients will be discharged with oral antibiotics and pain killers for about five to seven days. The first follow up would be after 48 hours. Dressings will be changed and patient will be asked to wear a sports bra to support the breasts and help to minimize swelling.
The sutures would be removed on the seventh post operative day. One can resume normal daily activities from the third day. Restriction of cardio for a period of three weeks and muscle workout for a period of six weeks is advised.
Breast Reduction or Reduction Mammoplasty as it is called, is a surgical procedure aimed at:
- Breast Reduction. Removal of excess breast fat, glandular tissue and skin.
- Restoring natural position.
The procedure aims at restoring a functional bust, proportionate to the body without affecting the primary functions. The procedure is performed under general anesthesia and is often a day care procedure. The patient can resume routine in a week’s time and start mild exercises by 2nd week. Vigorous exercises and swimming can should preferably be resumed only by week 6.
Depending on the size and degree of sagging, the surgeon may opt for any one of the below treatment plans:
- Scar less liposuction (for small sized less sagging breasts).
- Small periareolar scar reduction.
- Short vertical scar reduction (for mild to moderate sized breasts).
- J shaped scar type (for moderate sized breasts).
- Classical inverted T scar type (for big to large sized breasts).
- Inverted T scar and a free nipple graft (for large sized breasts).
The procedure provides both physical and psychological relief to women suffering from overly sized breasts. The satisfaction rates of patients following breast reduction are very high.
View Breast Reduction Gallery
Related Videos to View
Schedule a Consultation Today
For more information on our procedures or if you are interested in scheduling an appointment please reach us here, or contact Dr. Ram directly by clicking on the QR code below. Dr. Ram can let you know if you are a good candidate for the procedure, and can recommend any additional treatments that can help you reach your beauty goals.