Contact us today to schedule your appointment!
Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia) Chennai
MALE BREAST REDUCTION (GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY) CHENNAI
Gynecomastia (or) Gynaecomastia, most commonly referred to as ‘MALE BREASTS’ or “MALE CHEST ENLARGEMENT” is a common condition in more than 70% of men worldwide. Enlarged male chest results from hormonal imbalances at any age and steroid overuse, though other causes also do exist. There is an increase in the amount of breast gland tissue and / or fat resulting from any of the above factors.
Though not a serious medical problem, enlarged male breast are often abnormally prominent and may be tough to cope with emotionally for a few. Many teens who suffer with this condition are body shamed and eventually suffer a very low self-esteem in the later course of life.
Most common mannerisms of boys / men with male boobs or moobs :
- Excessive stoop / hunchback
- Avoid removing shirts in public
- Avoid tight fitting T-shirts / shirts
- Avoid socialising with female counterparts
- Reluctance to participate in activities that involve revealing their upper bodies. Ex. swimming, pre-wedding rituals etc.
Most often, the breast swelling resulting from transient hormonal changes during puberty may go away on its own without treatment, usually within 6 months to 2 years of onset. If it persists, surgical correction is the most straightforward solution to correct the swollen breasts. Exercise and dieting are inadequate in addressing abnormally large male breasts. Also, certain drugs (e.g. marijuana, anabolic steroids) and medical conditions (e.g. liver disease) can aggravate gynecomastia – these should be dealt with before considering gynecomastia surgery.
The reality of the matter is that one does not have to live with Gynecomastia. The desire for a flatter, more masculine chest is achievable through male breast reduction surgery. Gynecomastia Correction is the only procedure permissible as early as 13 years of age to help avert deep rooted psychological issues in young adolescents.
These enlarged tissues are neither cancerous nor cause any health concerns. Many with man boobs experience pain in their breasts to varying degrees, most often referred to as “PAINFUL GYNECOMASTIA” and are ideal candidates for a surgical procedure.
Gynecomastia can affect one breast (Unilateral Gynecomastia) or both breasts (Bilateral Gynecomastia), sometimes unevenly. Occasionally, clients with one-sided Gynecomastia prefer to get operated only on the prominently enlarged side. It is advisable however, to get operated on both sides to achieve desired symmetrical results as per advice from your experienced Plastic Surgeon.
Grades of Gynecomastia
A common grading system for Gynecomastia used at our clinic is the Rohrich’s classification system.
Grade 1: Mild enlargement without sagging.
Grade 2: Moderate enlargement without sagging.
Grade 3: Severe enlargement with mild sagging.
Grade 4: Severe enlargement with excess sagging, mimicking female breasts.
Psychological preparedness is the key to a successful ‘Male Chest Correction’ surgery.
- Never let anyone push you or force you into getting operated. It should be absolutely your choice.
- Always remember that you are not alone. Almost 70% of the men across the globe suffer from Gynecomastia in varying degrees. Surgical removal of male breasts is equally common due to increased awareness and improved facilities.
- Avoid googling unreliable sites for side effects or aftereffects of the surgery. Trust your surgeon and be willing to discuss your concerns with him / her well ahead of the procedure.
Gynecomastia Removal Surgery
You will receive your preoperative instructions well ahead of the surgery from our team. Though a minor surgery, it is mandatory to ensure all protocols are adhered to. Once you comply with the necessary pre-operative requirements such as medical test clearance, stoppage of smoking / alcohol consumption, modification / stoppage of earlier medications etc., you are all set for the surgery.
Male Breast Reduction surgery is usually performed under mild sedation / general anesthesia except in very rare cases, where it is done under local anesthesia. The surgery involves the removal of breast tissue and/or fat deposits, resulting in a chest that is flatter and better contoured. Incisions less than 1/4th of the areola circumference are made along the areola borders. Fat and glandular tissue is removed through these incisions using a combination of power assisted liposuction and gland excision. The results of the procedure are significant and permanent. The end result is a firmer, flatter and more contoured chest.
- Day-care procedure
- Almost painless
- Minimally invasive
- Minimal scars
- Proven and gratifying results
Gynecomastia or Male Breast Reduction is a simple day care procedure.
- If your procedure is scheduled in the morning, the same day evening you can return to your home/accommodation.
- You will have to return to the clinic at the end of 48 hours for plaster removal.
- On day 7, you can have your stitches removed at our clinic / in your hometown.
Though a relatively safe surgery, occasionally one might develop hematoma (internal bleeding) following the procedure. A follow up within 48 hours of surgery is strongly recommended and will help identify and promptly aspirate the hematoma if the need be. In most cases, it may self – heal. Swelling, bruising, discomfort and numbness are temporary and shall subside within a couple of weeks.
- No driving for 10 days post-surgery.
- No cardio exercises for 15 days post-surgery.
- No heavy body building exercises involving muscles for 45 days post-surgery. Start with mild workouts and then increase the intensity according to comfort level.
- You are expected to wear a tight-fitting vest or compression garment for 30 days at all times, followed by 8 hours a day for 15 days to keep the swelling under control and enable adherence of the skin to the underlying muscle.
Expectations vs. Reality
Expecting a symmetrical chest post-surgery might end up disappointing you. Our body is built in such a way that the muscles on the left and right sides of the chest are asymmetrical. Hence, a slight difference between the two sides post-surgery is normal. The idea of the surgery is to give you a sculpted chest, not a perfectly symmetrical one.
Post Gynecomastia surgery results are more distinctly seen in men with average body weight and firm skin tone than in slightly overweight or obese individuals.
The costs vary between Rs 65,000 to Rs 90,000 plus GST (18%) depending on the grade of the Gynecomastia and the technology employed. Quality surgeries, such as ours, generally involve slightly higher costs. This is to ensure that none of the components of the surgery are compromised. After all, your safety is our priority.
Related Videos to View
Schedule a Consultation Today
For more information on our procedures or if you are interested in scheduling an appointment please reach us here, or contact Dr. Ram directly by clicking on the QR code below. Dr. Ram can let you know if you are a good candidate for the procedure, and can recommend any additional treatments that can help you reach your beauty goals.